Tuesday, March 18, 2008

WHATever

While at home this afternoon waiting for the plumber to arrive and completely ruin my life, I stumbled upon this gem:



For anyone who wasn't watching loads of TGIF in the early 90s (as if!), you might not be aware of this series based on the hit movie Clueless. It rocked! I loved it! I was thirteen!

Today's episode on "The N" network (which, I presume, is a teen spin on Nickelodeon? I dunno) was a real treat, featuring Bronson Pinchot (HELLO! Balki, anyone?????) as a wacked-out celebrity hairstylist with an unidentifiable accent. Pretty amazing!

Plot summary for Episode #4: Do We with Bad Haircuts Not Feel?

Cher falls for new boy Harrison and the two become an item. Everything in the relationship is great, and Cher's new love interest is popular with her friends because of his Father's job in a Record Company which leads to free music gigs for the gang. Meanwhile, Travis' feelings for Cher are growing and he plucks up the courage to sit and talk with her at lunch break. He talks with her about the 'stages of death' that people go through when facing death. Murray and Shawn are not impressed. Back at her house, Cher discusses the upcoming summer prom with Dionne and Amber. The two urge her to go for a new haircut after she presents them with the dress she wants to wear. But upon arriving at the salon, Cher is dissapointed to discover her usual stylist Taki is no longer cutting hair - she wants to be a colourist. However, she does mention Cher to hot celebrity stylist of the moment Ka-Feen.

Back at school, Cher's appointment with Ka-Feen causes much annoyance for Amber who had been trying to get an appointment with him for months. Even superstar model Veronia Webb phones Cher and tells her what an excellent stylist Ka-Feen is. But when the cut is finally done, the results are disasterous. Trying to make the best of a bad situation, but with the response from her peers a negative one, Cher quickly realises that she is 'staging' as Travis explained the day before.

Meanwhile, strange notes continue to find thier way to Cher and she is even sent a Cuddly Toy from a secret admirer. After studying Shakespeare in class, and recognising the great writer's words with the notes she had been receiving, Cher soon puts two and two together and realises her secret admirer was Travis all along. In the end, her hair goes 'out of shock' and is fine. Cher goes to the Summer Prom with Travis and enjoys the evening of her life. Ex-Boyfriend Harrison is quickly forgotten.

I would seriously consider ordering this on DVD if it didn't cost exactly 9 million dollars. I'm betting it offers some great life lessons. Guess I'm off to drown my sorrows in a carton of mini robin's eggs instead.

p.s. I feel it must be stated for the record that when I told Lydia I was having plumbing issues this morning she seriously thought I meant that I might pee my pants in her office.

**EDIT: this post is best viewed while listening to the song "Everything Falls Apart" by Dog's Eye View, a classic mid-nineties jam that captures perfectly the spirit of this post, as it was featured during the Summer Prom scene in the above referenced Clueless episode and pretty much sums up my crap-ass life at the moment**

1 comment:

Soul Kitten (in the Mitten) said...

Truth be told, as soon as you said you had plumbing issues, I looked on the floor for a puddle and thought will I have to put in a maintenance work order?!! Zygotes are so rarely potty trained, so I had to check...