Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sweet candy confection - they're back!

Like any self-respecting Chicks & Rabbits lover, I've been aware of the return of my favorite Easter treat for more than a month. However, in a fit of righteous self-denial, I forbade myself from purchasing any until the week of Easter. Why? WHY??? Because I'd eat 17 bags, that's why!

I mean, just look at the little guys:

Talk about tasty. I've been loving me some Chicks & Rabbits since I was a kid. They bear an uncanny resemblace to circus peanuts but their seasonally-limited availability makes them superior. It's been said that they smack slightly of banana, which I would agree with. In fact, my sister once mailed me exactly four banana-flavored dum dums with a note that said (and I'm not paraphrasing here): "these are nasty. they taste like circus peanuts. you'll like them." Ipso facto, Chicks & Rabbits kinda taste like banana.

While the flavor has remained consistently delicious, the colors have changed over the years. I distinctly remember a mix of pink, purple, and yellow when I was younger. The pink ones always had that vaguely ink-like aftertaste that pink conversation hearts and pink cotton candy occasionally have as well. Perhaps the updated yellow, blue, and orange color scheme is an improvement.

I've tried to introduce many people to the glory of Chicks & Rabbits without much success. The only person I know who likes them as much as I do is my mom! Perhaps the taste for Chicks & Rabbits is somehow genetic? Quick, break out the Punnett square! As of today, I can add one more person to the list of enlightened Chicks & Rabbits fans: my co-worker, Tami! When she recognized the rogue rabbit that Mr. JR was waving crazily in front of her office door, I knew she was hooked. She even remembers the aforementioned original colors! I celebrated this discovery with a hearty portion of Chicks & Rabbits, followed by a soothing cup of chamomile and lavender tea.

4 comments:

J. Rocker said...

I can't believe you busted out "punnett square"

you're not going to get all Mendelian in your next post, are you?

joanna said...

c'mon, the punnett square is a classic! And yes, my next post will talk extensively about pea plant hybrids, how did you know?

Julie said...

I remember when you brought these on our horrible road trip to Indianapolis! I think everyone hated them but us....

joanna said...

Julie, I was just thinking of that trip! Remember how I used one of the chicks to reenact my favorite Sonic commercial! Hahaha... REJECTED!