Wednesday, March 5, 2008

busting out continental

I did it! I taught myself how to knit continental - no more "throwing" for this gal. Well maybe, a little bit of throwing until I feel better about my purls. What finally pushed me over the continental divide? A papoose for soon-to-be-born baby McGormley that required no less than a daunting 34,560 stitches in plain old garter-stitch pattern. I knew English-style just wasn't going to cut the mustard - my right shoulder couldn't have handled it (although the thought of being able to milk a right arm injury for at least a few recuperative weeks was appealing).

Tension is still a bit wonky, but after checking out some technique forums, that seems to be the biggest challenge for most crossover knitters. For this particular project it's not going to matter much other than seriously jacking up my gauge. Whatevs. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I sew up the little hood seam. I was seriously considering testing the papoose out on Pudge, who is larger than most babies (toddlers, even) but I'm not sure how Kate would feel about that. (Although, the pictures would be awfully cute! Maybe she doesn't need to know...)

No comments: